As members of the British Horological Institute and the Worshipful Company of Clockmakers, and working closely with English Heritage, leading church advisors, historians, architects and planners, we ensure that your clock is faithfully restored and cared for depending on its situation and clock type.
This 200 year old clock movement had been sadly neglected for years. Dismantled, cleaned, with new bearings, weight barrels, escapement and fully re finished to heritage compliant standards, it is now working and with care and maintenance will keep time for another 200 years.
A mid 19th century copper dial which had been repainted on site over the years. Wherever possible we remove such dials to our workshops for full cleaning back to bare metal. Our spray shop process gives the most long lasting paint finish and for gilding we use the best quality gold leaf to ensure maximum outdoor life.
This clock dates from 1710 and was made by a local blacksmith. It originally had just an hour hand, the minute hand being a 19th century addition. It was therefore a unique clock. Even with no known references for replacement parts, they still had to be replicated in accordance with conservation requirements, so that the historical integrity of the clock was not compromised.
When cleaned back to bare copper, this faded and much repainted dial revealed the original numerals scribed into the surface of the copper. We were therefore able to restore its true historic appearance. Gilding masks were computer plotted and machine cut, giving a crisp edge for gilding. We use best quality 231⁄2 carat double thickness English gold leaf for maximum life expectancy.
1. BELL CHIMES: linkage, levers and timing. We can install electric control too.
2. WEIGHTS: we check andrenew pulleys, cables andfixings to ensure all are fail-safe.
3. MOVEMENT: the beating heart of your clock. Regular care will keep it alive.
4. WINDING: we can save you all the hard work with our fail-safe low voltage units.
5. TIMEKEEPING: always correct with our pendulum arrest/release. Perfect for an autowind equipped clock.
6. WINDVANES: let us maintain your centuries old watch on the weather.
7. DIAL RESTORATION: not just redecoration. Fixings and bearings are serviced, best paint and gold leaf are used.
8. DIALWORKS: the gears to drive and balance the hands require regular maintenance.
9. TRANSMISSION: linksthe movement to the dials, and requires regular maintenance.
10. BELL SAFETY: vital for change ringing, our pull-o s are mechanical or electrical with night silencing.