Historic clock winds up for first time in decades at The School Yard.
The original 150 year old clock which has marked time for Harborne residents since the late 1800’s has been fully refurbished with ground-breaking horological technology as part of a £30,000 restoration programme.
Originally manufactured by John Smith and Sons of Derby (now known as Smith Of Derby), the restoration of the clock at Harborne Clock Tower has been completed by the same firm. The works to the listed tower and the clocks are part of the £5m The School Yard scheme by EDG Property, which will see the redevelopment of the historic school building into restaurants and a new residential building.
The clock, which is positioned atop the landmark tower with four separate dials, has a flat bed hour striking movement that drives the four dials through a double three legged gravity escapement. The work has the full restoration of the four dials as well as routine maintenance. The work has the full restoration of the four dials as well as routine maintenance. The four clock faces have been modernised for the new century with illuminated backgrounds.
Neil Edginton, EDG Property, said :
The clock is an intrinsic part of our redevelopment of The School Yard scheme and of Harborne as a place. It is a real landmark so its careful restoration was of prime importance. There is a lovely synergy in working with Smith of Derby after all these years and as we believe that the clock hasn’t struck the hour since the mid – 1980’s, we are delighted that it will once again mark time in Harborne village.