At the heart of Crayford is a prominent clock tower which has recently gone through a full restoration programme, including the clock dials and hands. Smith of Derby worked alongside the main contractor to ensure the best possible outcome for the clock element of the work.
The clock tower was originally built in 1902 at the gates of the Maxim Nordenfeldt Gun and Ammunition Factory which was later taken over by the Vickers Company, who focused on building military aeroplanes and armaments. The tower became a prominent feature of the factory and the town of Crayford until the factory closed in the 1970’s and was subsequently redeveloped into a retail area.
The tower continued to stand and has remained a prominent feature of Crayford so it was decided this should be restored to its former glory. Working alongside Heritage Stone Restoration, Smith of Derby were commissioned to complete the clock element of the work.
The four 3ft 6” glazed skeleton dials were returned to our Derby workshop, along with the clock hands, where a full restoration process began. The dials were de-glazed and sympathetically bead blasted back to their base metal, along with the clock hands. New templates were cut for the new acrylic glazing, before the application of multi layers of paint before a baking process in our oven at 80°c to achieve a hard enamel like finish for maximum longevity.
The clock dials before, during and after the restoration.
On completion of the paint process the new glazing, using 050 opal acrylic, was fitted and the dials and hands were returned to the historic Crayford site. The team carefully re-installed the equipment so they would proudly adorn the tower once again, meaning that the town of Crayford has its focal point back.